Thursday 16 January 2014

Takes one to know one

I've been playing Gaelic Club this evening. Well, I went over Murray, the Rocks, Dragon, and the Farewell, but mostly I just went over and over the Gaelic Club. I was working on grace notes. I don't suppose many people would notice the difference - probably only another piper. It's the same with sewing or knitting - only another knitter or sewer would ever notice the tiny extras: a waistband that has been top stitched, French seams.

It's not just the good things, but the bad. Only another such would notice a cable that twists the wrong way, or a button that doesn't quite match its siblings. A non-knitter or sewer will look hard and puzzled at the offending error. Surely, they will say, no one will ever notice, and you're so clever to have knitted/stitched that anyway. But I will spot it - the knitter or sewer or musician will spot that lack, and feel it, every time. And hopefully, when I have the Gaelic Club with a good set of well chosen grace notes I will notice every time I play it, and be pleased

(This is actually wishful thinking. In practice every time I play I will find some fault that seems to me to stick out like a sore thumb, even if no one else ever notices)

No comments:

Post a Comment