Wednesday 8 January 2014

On the plus side

My playing wasn't totally awful this evening. I managed to remember quite a lot of Barren Rocks (and to be honest the version I have now is not quite the same as the one I had and a different note, or timing, or gracing, can throw me off my stride - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). When I played around with random notes my fingers were good and flexible and my control of bag and bellows good. I think that Bee and Dargai will go well together.

We'll just ignore the fact that when playing tunes on A I was twitching, hunching and grabbing a bit (although admittedly nothing like the bad old days of the pumping imp and the Quasimodo impressions). Also my inability to pay a single tune from memory, including Troy. And very tight hands and fingers: I feared for the safety of the chanter at times. Oh, and once I got going on the Rocks I was back to playing them way to fast and missing out all the gracing.

Hmm. Even this post hasn't gone to plan: I envisaged the couple of OK things followed by a loooong list of disastrous stuff, but actually the second list isn't all that long and the things on it aren't all that bad.

I also note that back in February when I played every day I tried and failed for 30 mins a day. I'm currently playing 45 minutes to an hour, and I'd do more, if it wasn't that dinner has to be cooked and eaten at some stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment