Thursday 2 January 2014

Odds on favourite

I've been humming Murray's Welcome half the day. Naturally, that's the half where I was at work and not able to play. The other half started just about the moment I stepped back through my front door. Still, I have been humming it, so hopefully this means it will be the first of my new tunes to hit dotlessness.

I played for around an hour this evening. Both chanters - starting with A. I went round and round on Murray, because he felt so close (and I am as near as dammit there with the A part) then some of the others, and threw in an "old" tune (Galloway) as well. The A is tiring though: I'm having to sit down to play and I'm finding I'm tensing my neck, which isn't good...

I predict that The Falls of Glomach and Balmacara will come in last. This is because I recognise them, but cannot hum them (I must listen more), they are long (four parters) so I am inclined to play them once only each, and I am playing them together, so it feels like one endlessly long tune.

I've also thought of several other tunes I might like to learn, and have been reminded on the way home (listening to Canterach) how good The Snuff Wife is. But I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, so the wee wifie will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment