Saturday 8 June 2013

Compliments for the Monkey

The session today, so the only playing I've done was there. The fan persuaded me to try the Whaling Song, which I got pretty much - B part a little messy, but otherwise not bad, and good to think how quickly I've gone from printing the dots to taking it to a session. Other than that just Town and the Tree and eventually I braved the King, and it came out OK. I hummed it through and went over it just practising fingers on the chanter (oddly still trying to pump the bellows even though the bag was detached!), then tried the first part droneless to see if I could, then just went for it.

Just one or two fleeting moments of stage fright: I'm not even sure if it was that which made me fluff notes, or the fluffing, or the knowledge that I was going to fluff, that caused it. But really, I barely have stage fright at all now, and can concentrate on the music.

Some interested listeners, as ever, asking whether I'm playing Northumbrian or border pipes, or even Uilleann pipes. It's good that people have at least heard of different sorts of pipes.

As I left someone said how lovely my pipes sounded: he could listen to them all day. I know how he feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment