Wednesday 19 June 2013

Still feeling the love

I did wonder this morning whether I might have jinxed my playing forever with my effusion of love yesterday, but it's all still good today. No drones again, but I hardly notice I am playing pipes: I don't think about the bellows or the bag, I just play.

Fiddling around with more new tunes. Listening to Smalltalk yesterday I was reminded how jolly the Shetland Fiddler is, and on closer inspection found it is aka the Spey in Spate, which the fan plays. Printed it out and went round and round for about 15 minutes solid. It's coming through well, already: recognisable, reasonable speed, and good to play. I think this one might be a keeper.

Cock o' the North somehow is not doing it for me, so that moves to the reject pile. Somme I am liking, although still a little worried that it's not the same as on the CD. It's nice though, except for the second and third bar on the B part. For some reason that FADF really throws me every time - partly the timing and partly D feeling very odd after A, but  I don't know why. Played a few times, played other things, noodled, realised I was playing this again, so it's sinking in fast.

Delvinside I love, but it's going to take time: the timing is a pig and a half, really. Then noodling again I played something lovely and wondered what it was and then realised it was that poor lamented dragon, the 72nd's Farewell to Aberdeen. I've got a weird version with tab and only two parts, and I am sure I had pipe version, but can't find it.

Quick run through John Morrison but  still can't make it sound like any tune I've ever heard. Still, if I can get the Fiddler, the Somme,  Delvinside, Alick (giving that a rest to percolate into my memory), that would be good. And I do need to think about sets, really. And recording.

About 50 minutes this evening. Oh - and spontaneous foot tapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment