Monday 17 June 2013

Old familiar faces

Or in this case, familiar tunes. I'm starting to feel that slowly, slowly, through much repetition this month, various tunes are creeping up alongside the Tree to that state where I don't really need to think about them; I can just play, listen, note how my fingers fall on the chanter.

Also feeling the need to find new tunes. I played for nearly an hour tonight and despite playing some tunes over and over and going back to them later and throwing in test runs of some new tunes, I felt I was running out by the end. I think the only thing I didn't play was the King.

Began on Monkey in A, droneless. Tried the "new" tunes - Blue Bonnets, which I noticed when looking for a blog post yesterday to link to that I had said in the past I liked, Battle of the Somme, which is one of those on the fan's new CD, and Mrs McLeod of Rasaay, because I would like to be able to play it and it's on the same page as Somme in the Piper's Delight. I wanted to find Balmacara, from the same CD, because we've had happy holidays there and I once sat with my chanter and played tunes on the shore of Lochalsh.

Switched to Monkey in D and played pretty much everything, including the new tunes again, Home and Flett a number of times. A medley of Tree, Galloway, Teribus, Rocks, Home, lasting almost 10 minutes.

Comfortable, except with drones, where I feel like I am losing air. Also I don't think they are in tune and the fan is away and the phone (which has a tuner on it) has gone with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment