Wednesday 5 June 2013

Transcendental

Time played: 30 minutes

Tunes played: Whaling (irritatingly I couldn't quite get the B part today and had to go back to dots); Battle (OK - faster on D - everything is faster on D); Galloway (without and then with drones, but not managing a clean transition); Barren Rocks (fast); Flett (OK); Alick (played through, but only once each part, as played here - not that I then repeated all four parts or appended any of it to John Morrison. One day. Maybe. Speed OK-ish but I need to get the timing right. I love the C part.); Home (this is where the title comes in - no drones, just the chanter, perfectly clear and vibrant, the bag feeling soft, that monkey cuddled into my side, pressure feeling soft and easy and even, and I just sat there and listened to the tune, to the lovely pipes, as if it was nothing at all to do with me, these pipes, this tunes, just coming together....)

Instrument: Monkey in D. I began with the A, but I'm not getting fingers cleanly on the  holes and the chanter itself sounds harsh and rasping so I abandoned almost immediately.

Foot tapping: spontaneously with parts of some tunes, but I'm tapping along to the tune, not playing along to my tapping

Recording: None. The manual is 88 pages long and written for techno-heads into multi desk tracking. The fan now says he'll show me again so I can write it down.

Notes: had the fan tune my drones in case that was why the chanter sounded so bad yesterday. Maybe it's the sudden warm spell (although our house keeps a reasonably steady temperature all year round), or travel, or leprechauns...

No comments:

Post a Comment