Wednesday 30 September 2015

The scores on the doors

Here we are at the end of another month. It's never as difficult as I think to find time to play every day, although it isn't easy, simply because I find it hard to play soon after I've eaten, which means I have a small patch where I can play between arriving home from work and sitting down to dinner.

I suppose the other hurdle is a feeling that I want to enjoy my hobbies, not make a chore of them. I don't ever knit or read or try the crossword because I feel I ought, only ever because the fancy takes me. But I very nearly always enjoy my piping once I start, and the month does still make a difference. I did wonder whether it still would, just because a month every day when you've only played for 2 years is a chunk of one's piping life, whereas a month is much smaller fraction of 5 years.

So, what have I achieved? I think my biggest milestone is getting 4-parters comfortably by heart, including some I've been playing around with for way too long, namely Braemar and Troy I've improved Father John and made it into another set, potentially with 2 other tunes. I've learned two tunes from scratch: Sleat and Heroes.

As ever, there are things I planned on doing and didn't. Neither Dragon nor Teribus got played much. Brandy has fizzled out, despite my working out a variation - a milestone in itself. Ocean is good, learned from the fan, not from dots - another milestone - but only the A part. Miss G  sometimes rocks - goes as fast as my fingers can fly, provided I don't stop to think - and sometimes is miserably bad. More work needed. Not sure that the Highlanders have progressed much.

I'm looking forward to a break, even if only for a day or two, then I need to work on the tunes, keep polishing, and maybe pick one new one to work on. The journey continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment