Monday 3 December 2012

Annoying the Neighbours

First posted Aug 15th, 2012 by newpiper

I did try to sneak in a quick practice yesterday, thinking it was early enough not to bother the neighbours, but I forgot that various doors and windows were open...and hadn't realised that our neighbours apparently keep very early hours. So my session was quickly curtailed. However, in order to minimise noise I blocked my drones off and could hear my chanter more clearly...and thus my grace notes, which aren't bad (although listening to Iain MacInnes as I type they are still too obviously collections of fast notes rather than those chirps and burbles that they should be).

Anyway, another go this evening (on the other side of the house, with windows shut, and early in the evening!) and experimented with blocked off drones. One at a time also means I can hear the drones and how they are doing. The middle drone still doesn't sound very strong, but they don't sound as wavery and inconsistent as they do when I've got them all going. Whether that's because I can manage even pressure for one but not all, or the waver is some trick of hearing with chanter and three drones going, I know not. I do know that my shoulders ached, which means I've been pumping too much, which means I need to practice more. (This - along with "I need more time" - should surely go on my gravestone).

Anyway, while I was fiddling around between tunes listening to a drone I suddenly discovered I was playing My Home Town. What with that, almost having the Barren Rocks sorted and the Highlanders still coming slowly that's three tunes I can nearly play by heart.

One of the odd things about playing by heart is getting the exact level of concentration. To a certain extent you can think too hard about it you just have to let your fingers go. It's like driving - you don't need to ask which gear you are in or are moving to - it comes naturally, and thinking "which gear am I in" normally means you are in, or about to move to, the wrong gear. On the other hand too little concentration and you miss a part or play a part three times instead of twice. You have to sort of listen to the tune without thinking about your fingers. At least, I think that's what I'm doing.

No recording again - it still takes away more from a session than it adds because it shifts my focus. I wish I could hit record at the start, stop when I end playing for the day, and just snip out the bits I want. Or maybe I should get the fan to record me so I'm not thinking about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment