Monday 3 December 2012

The Banks of Allen

First posted Jul 25th, 2012 by newpiper

So it turned out not to be anything drastic and my ears are back: just an irritating cough left. It's been frustrating - I've missed playing and I've been really keen to try the Banks of the Allen that Vicki has on her blog. I've played very briefly a couple of times this week, but this is the first time I've had a chance to try the new tune.

The first thing is that I am pleased not to feel I have got badly rusty. Physically, in terms of aching arm muscles, it's clear I've had a big break. In terms of pressure, fingering and general comfort levels, it feels as though I've not been away at all.

Vicki has used a G and a strike between three notes the same. Elsewhere in the tune she's used a strike and a G, so naturally I keep getting these wrong and tend to slow right up so I can curse myself for an idiot once I've done it. The strike on to G from the B at the end is poor - very poor indeed. Not my best shot - practice needed, but the fan is quietly impressed by my sight reading skills.

Question for the day - at what point can you tell someone you're a musician? How good do you need to be before you 'fess up? Or before it stops being an idle boast and becomes some sort of fundamental truth?

Next week I will be dropping in on Mr Kinnear...

Recording - The Banks of The Allen. Status - lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment