Monday 3 December 2012

Old Friends (My Home Town)

First posted Sep 20th, 2012 by newpiper

Yesterday was hideous. Tunes wouldn't come, drones sounded vile, and I was really struggling with pressure and bellows. I seem to be keeping a steady amount in the bag and relying on somehow crashing down on the bellows and forcing air right through to the chanter and drones. Although both arms hurt, so that can’t be quite the whole story. Certainly the connector is flipping out, which suggests too much movement – and sometimes it’s whole upper-body movement when I hunch, twitch and sway. Not good at all.

Today is better. I’m still feeling uncomfortable with the pressure levels. I wonder if the drop in temperature is affecting Morag. Still, the tunes are coming today – notes in the right places, and I’m playing tunes through twice without too much trouble. Looser fingers, also: they've been tense of late. Not that they are helping with those clunky D throws...

The same old tunes today. You’d think I’d be sick to death of them by now – I certainly expected to never want to play them again the amount time it’s taking me to memorise them. But actually I love them: they are really great tunes and I am so glad to be able to play them, and I’m starting to feel that I know them well enough that they feel like old friends.

Recording is My Home Town. The usual red-button-itis, a few wrong notes, and once I hit the wrong note which sent me straight into the b part instead of the second A. At the end, thinking to decelerate slightly in order to come to a graceful and dignified halt, I held a grace note as well as an actual note. Doh! Oh, and two drones only as the third sounds foul and there’s no fan here to adjust. I really need to learn to tune them for myself.

Recording - despite the the text I never actually uploaded a tune with this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment