Monday 3 December 2012

Return of the Atholl Dogs

First posted Aug 6th, 2012 by newpiper

Yes, really - two posts in one day. Ran through the usual playlist. Not doing too badly and can play chunks of the Rocks and Barra by heart. But then I got tired quickly perhaps (it's the back end of the evening and I've had a glass of wine...) but it seemed to me I was needing a lot of pressure to keep the drones going, and they were giving up the moment I eased off.

The fan notes that compared to Mr Kinnear my hands look very tense on my chanter - and I know they are because sometimes it makes my thumbs hurt. Not a problem I've ever had with whistles or recorders, although I did have it with the chanter. Perhaps it's just mental tension, as it were, or perhaps it's the weight of the chanter. (And I'm trying not to think that when I have my new pipes - and I haven't actually put in a real order as yet - all will be well)

But I thought I ought to record. I ran once through the Highlanders (parts 1-3 only) with no problems. As soon as the recorder came out I flapped. I think I immediately start thinking about my blog post and criticising my playing, so stop thinking about the tune. So here is a reasonably fast, hideously inaccurate, and frankly not very tuneful version. Better than the previous attempts? Tunepal thought I was playing the William Tell Overture, or perhaps Atholl Brose. Somehow rather discouraging....

(And then I've deleted the bad version and posted the awful version. Re-recorded. Still bad - and this time I know I was definitely thinking about the blog and not the tune, hence the mess.)

Recording - The Atholl Highlanders. Status - retrieved - to be posted

No comments:

Post a Comment