Monday 3 December 2012

Threesome

First posted Nov 1st, 2012 by newpiper

I played a bit more yesterday and ended up back on the Kilbarchan Band website where I came across Teribus. Playing around this morning with putting The Rowan Tree up front and following it with Teribus and The Barren Rocks. I keep floundering on the rocks and needing the support of dots, for the B part especially. But I seem to have the stamina to play each tune twice through, one after the other, reasonably comfortably, which is good. Playing without drones because I cannot get them tuned. The fan is busy ripping out a bathroom, and the electronic tuner picks up the chanter perfectly, but seems deaf to the drones and insists they are all playing C.

Also wondering whether The Rowan Tree would go with My Home Town: they seem to share something - a mood, maybe. Or perhaps the Tree should be sandwiched between the Rocks and the Teribus: a 4/4 march set between two 2/4 marches. Actually: no. Speeding up from a slow start is good, but a slow piece sitting between two faster doesn't work, it seems.

And maybe the Rowan and Town, except they are mysteriously similar in that musical physics way and The Rowan Tree wiped My Home Town out of my head to such an extent it took three goes with the dots to get started again. Three goes partly because I just glance at the dots to get the shape of the thing, and not having the rhythm in my head I got the timing wrong. Also, of course, Castle Dangerous kept lurking, and I knew which notes I wanted for that... If I do put them together I think the Tree needs to come first, because that ends on low A, which leads nicely into the D throw, but dropping from the final strike on D on the Tree down to A to begin My Home Town doesn't seem to work.

So - time for a spot of lunch, and then maybe I'll try recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment