Monday 3 December 2012

The Marriage of True Tunes

First posted Jun 23rd, 2012 by newpiper

Is this is a record? Not a day this week when I haven’t picked up my pipes – albeit very briefly on Thursday. Ran through the new tunes today but then gave them a rest to concentrate on some others – My Home Town, Rowan Tree and the Vintage Pipes set. When I listen to sets often enough the components start to go together like Harriet Vane and Peter Wimsey, or Emma and Mr Knightley. If I hum Mull of the Mountains I run into Crossing the Minch. The Mull without the Minch sounds like half a tune, denuded. I want to get to that stage with Vintage Pipes – feeling that one belongs to the other, that there is something inevitable and very right about the pairing.

I've not practiced for very long – at least, I don’t think so. I used to look at my watch when I started, thinking I ought to do at least 20 minutes. This week I've just played.

No comments:

Post a Comment