Monday 3 December 2012

Tunes to Knit With

First posted May 14th, 2012 by newpiper

No piping - knitting to a deadline. I can listen as I knit - I've just bought Mike Katz's Month of Sundays. To be honest I'm rather disappointed with it. I'm not a mad fan of the Battlefield Band (although I saw them live a year or two back), but a nice clip on YouTube of Mr Katz playing smallpipes persuaded me. Sadly, the SSP only get a look in on once track. Many of the tunes just seem very fast, and although fast can be fun and impressive I feel you miss so much when a tune flies past. The last couple of tracks seem to have an odd ringing like a doorbell in the background. I am sure the guitarist is a fine musician, but to my mind heavy guitar work adds nothing to pipes, especially when the guitar sounds very close, and the pipes as though Mike was out the back of the studio.

I'm still mostly listening to Sealbh, Tryst, Smalltalk and the Carrying Stream. Between us the fan and I own a lot of CDs - not all of them folk, by any means - but if the place was burning down these are the four I would want to grab right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment