Friday 7 December 2012

While the fan's away....


The fan’s out at a gig, so I’ve listened to Tryst and poked around Ceol Sean and have tried the Portree Men. Phew! It’s fast, and generally much harder to play than it sounds. Not sure why – something in the timing that doesn’t come naturally.
Then I tried The Celtic Society’s Quickstep. It’s what the fan would refer to as a bit of pig: horrendously difficult to sight read (although this is partly down to the dots being old-fashioned and not very clean). Lots of low notes – As and Gs, and fast again, but this I can’t get even a half recognisable run at.

Happier with Teribus. It’s one that apparent 90% of the piper’s repertoire that begins A D throw, and I slid straight into My Home Town instead. Then I pulled up a version on You Tube, was able to get the tune back in my head and played from there – no dots involved.
So the recording is The Rowan Tree – which, alongside the Barren Rocks, is my current, supposed party piece. Low key party clearly – just a few friends, drinks and nibbles. I got the start of the B part wrong – consulted dots and as soon as I saw the first two notes was fine, until I realised that I’ve been getting the last two bars wrong! I’ve been going up from the B to a C before I drop to two As, instead of B followed by three As....I think I prefer my version! Anyway, of course thinking about that meant I mucked up the opening of the B part again – I’m playing F instead of E. Fourth time lucky – although I’m still sticking that C in to the last bar. And, actually, I’m quite pleased with my gracing on this. I like all the strikes – they seem quite clean. The Gs are coming out as tiny blips and chirrups, the F doubling isn’t bad.

Recording - The Rowan Tree


Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment